“Personal property” includes property such as cars, household and personal items, aircraft, or farming or industrial equipment. All information stored in the Alberta Personal Property Registry Electronic System (APPRES) is public.
Personal property searches can be performed by searching an individual, business, or serial number.
Fee = $13.60 per search
- Serial Number Search
- Reports all securities charged against a specific piece of personal property. A serial number and detailed description of the property must be provided.
- Individual Debtor Search
- Reports all securities charged against the personal name, including personal property liens. The full legal name of the person should be used. A date of birth for the debtor is also recommended, but not required.
- Business debtor/secured party search
- Reports all securities charged against the business name, including personal property liens. The full legal name of the business is required.
Register A Personal Property Lien
A personal property lien an be registered against non-real estate property (vehicles, boats, planes, mobile homes, etc.). Financial interest in personal property must be registered in the Personal Property Registry to avoid possible loss or legal conflict. Keep in mind that registering your interest in the Personal Property Registry does not guarantee your priority over all other interests, but it is a necessary step in protecting your interest.
Forms must be completed and brought in to a registry for processing. All forms can be found at https://www.alberta.ca/personal-property-liens-forms.aspx
Garage Keeper’s Lien
- For garage keepers wanting to register a lien against a vehicle owner for repairs, parts, or storage that has not been paid for. This lien is registered for 6-months at a time.
Personal Property Security Registration
- For a security interest under the Personal Property Security Act, including leases for a term of more than one year, transfers of accounts or chattel paper and consignments.
Fee = $23.00 per year or $421.00 for “infinity”
Personal Property Registration Amendment
Fee = $31.00
Personal Property Discharge
Fee = $20.75
Writ of Enforcement
- This enables a creditor to take enforcement action. Note that a Writ of Enforcement form must be filed with the Clerk of the Court of Queen’s Bench before it can be registered with the Personal Property registry. This is a 2-year registration.
Fee = $31.00