Out of Province Licenses

New residents of Alberta must obtain an Alberta drivers’ license within 90 days of establishing residency in Alberta. All exchanged licenses must be surrendered to a registry with proof of 2 or more years of driving experience (if you want to be issued a full Class 5 license), proof of Alberta residency, and proof of legal entitlement to be in Canada. 

Canadian drivers must present their valid out-of-province license, proof of Alberta residency, and proof of legal entitlement. Medical documentation is required for those with a existing medical condition that effects the safe operation of a motor vehicle,  and for commercial classes 1, 2, and 4. Proof of date first licensed for commercial classes 1 and 2 are required to prove that the Mandatory Entry Level Program (MELT) does not have to be taken. For more information on commercial licenses, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/upgrade-commercial-licence.aspx

Drivers holding a license from one of the following have a reciprocal agreement with Alberta and may exchange their license for the license class stated below only. No testing required except a vision screening:

  •  Australia (Class 5 & 6)
  • Austria (Class 5)
  • Belgium (Class 5)
  • France (Class 5)
  • Germany (Class 5)
  • Isle of Man (Class 5 & 6)
  • Japan (Class 5)
  • Netherlands (Class 5)
  • Republic of Korea (Class 5)
  • Switzerland (Class 5 & 6)
  • Taiwan (Class 5)
  • United Kingdom (Northern Ireland – Class 5 & 6)
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland & Wales – Class 5)
  • United States (Class 5, 6 & 7)

Drivers from out of country with a license that is not in the Reciprocal Licensing agreement list, must provide the identification above, as well as complete a knowledge test and submit their valid license and translation (if applicable) for verification. If/when the license is verified, which could take from 6-8 weeks, you will be advised if you are eligible for a road test. Below is a link to the Reciprocal Licensing Countries and GDL Exemption Program, starting on page 30. 


Students are not required to change their out-of-province license if living and attending school full time in Alberta if they intent to return to their home province/territory.

Working in Alberta but have residency in another province? You may continue to use your out-of-province license.

Visitors to Alberta may use their valid home province/country license as long as you do not take up residency in Alberta. International Driving Permits (IDP can be used to drive in Alberta for up to 12 months). 

Close Menu