Licence Plate Transfers


Transferring A Registration

To transfer your existing vehicle registration to another vehicle you will need proper identification, proof of ownership (private sale must be original documents), original NVIS (for brand new vehicles only) and proof of valid insurance. 

If the vehicle was purchased from outside Alberta, the vehicle must be physically in Alberta and have an out-of-province inspection, a salvage inspection or a commercial vehicle inspection, including all the documents listed above. One of our Agents will review the documentation and provide you with the appropriate inspection request form that you must take to a licensed inspection facility.

Vehicles that are exempt from obtaining an inspection include off-highway vehicles and trailers.  Other exemptions that may be available including:

  • Dealership demo vehicles
  • New vehicles from a jurisdiction within Canada (including Alberta)
  • New vehicles from a jurisdiction outside Canada
  • Vehicles from Saskatchewan or British Columbia less than 4 years old

Conditions apply for each of the about vehicle types. 

Fee= $22.45

Close Menu