An in-transit permit is for moving an unregistered vehicle or trailer from one location to another within Canada. Proof of insurance (not including trailers) is required and the vehicle/trailer year, make, model and VIN is required to obtain this permit. Proof of ownership is required if the vehicle or trailer is being moved out of Alberta.
A permit can be issued for moving inside Alberta the following reasons and lengths of time:
- Move from point A to point B. – Maximum of 3 days
- Inspection purposes. – Maximum of 7 days
- Salvage vehicles – Maximum of 24 hours
- Mechanical servicing. – Maximum of 7 days
- Demonstration for the purpose of selling. – Maximum of 7 days
- Towed vehicles – Maximum of 3 days
For moving vehicles/trailers outside Alberta, permits are issued for a maximum of 7 days, and proof of ownership is required in addition to the roof of insurance.
Fee = $24.45
For more information, please go to http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Types-of-licence-plates.cfm