In-Transit Permits


An in-transit permit is for moving an unregistered vehicle or trailer from one location to another within Canada. Proof of insurance (not including trailers) is required and the vehicle/trailer year, make, model and VIN is required to obtain this permit. Proof of ownership is required if the vehicle or trailer is being moved out of Alberta. 

A permit can be issued for moving inside Alberta the following reasons and lengths of time:

  1. Move from point A to point B. – Maximum of 3 days
  2. Inspection purposes. – Maximum of 7 days
  3. Salvage vehicles – Maximum of 24 hours
  4. Mechanical servicing. – Maximum of 7 days
  5. Demonstration for the purpose of selling. – Maximum of 7 days 
  6. Towed vehicles – Maximum of 3 days

For moving vehicles/trailers outside Alberta, permits are issued for a maximum of 7 days, and proof of ownership is required in addition to the roof of insurance. 

Fee = $24.45 


For more information, please go to

Close Menu