Alberta Commercial Vehicle Registration & Pro-Rate


Commercial Vehicle Registration

There are a number of different commercial plates available based on use of vehicle, gross vehicle weight (GVW), passenger capacity, territory of use, and use of the vehicle. The type and cost of the plate required is based on the above factors. 
The estimated GVW of your vehicle is required when registering commercially. The GVW includes the curb weight (vehicle when empty) plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

**All Commercial Vehicles with a GVW over 11,794 KG or a passenger capacity of 11 or more including the driver, will be required to obtain a Safety Fitness Certificate and a Commercial Vehicle Inspection.

Safety Fitness Certificate
To obtain a Safety Fitness Certificate you must first register the vehicle and we will provide you with the information package from Alberta Transportation. You must then apply online for your permanent certificate. Printed applications are accepted by email, fax, or mail.

For more information, please go to or call 403-340-5444. 

Commercial Vehicle Inspection
Completion of a Commercial Vehicle Inspection is required as part of the process to obtain the Safety Fitness Certificate. This must be completed by an approved inspection facility. The approved facilities have all necessary forms and will notify Alberta Transportation directly when the inspection has been completed.


Over-sized Load Permits

A over-sized load permit allows for the movement of an over-sized or overweight vehicle/load. Conditions apply. 

For more information, please visit or call 1-800-662-7138.




Pro-rate is for operating outside of Alberta.


We do not process Pro-Rate in our office. For more information, please visit Alberta Transportation Online or call 403-297-2920.

Close Menu